Leibniz Center for Informatics at Schloss Dagstuhl



brief description: 

The Leibniz Center is the world's premier venue for informatics, where scientists, researchers and practitioners come together to exchange their knowledge and to discuss their research findings. Schloss Dagstuhl is a picturesquely situated, beautifully restored castle complex. The Leibniz Center is housed in a modern annex, whose architecture is harmoniously nestled in the surrounding countryside, hence not impairing the historical character of the ensemble.  Dagstuhl Castle was built in 1290 at the order of Knight Boemund of Saarbrücken, probably for the archbishop of Trier. In the 17th century, the counts of Oettingen-Baldern-Sötern came into possession of Dagstuhl and undertook extensive renovations. Around 1720, the castle, which had repeatedly been occupied by the French (as were all the other castles in the Rhineland, along the Moselle and the Saar rivers), was destroyed. In 1760, the then reigning prince Count Anton von Oettingen-Soetern-Hohenbaldern had a family residence built at the foot of the old castle ruins. The exquisite manor house was followed by a Baroque chapel, and in 1774/75, the manor house was enlarged. Further additions were made to the complex, a middle section was built, for example, to close the gap between the main house and the chapel. The middle section, sort of a general purpose building, mainly served as a space for musical and theatrical performances. Today, it is being used as a music room. Half a century later, the French Baron Wilhelm de Lasalle von Louisenthal came into possession of the manor house and the accompanying land. A further expansion of Dagstuhl took place. The middle section was rebuilt in neo-Gothic style and a tower was added. The chapel was also transformed and a gallery was added. The crypt next to the chapel underwent some refurbishment as well. The paintings covering the Via Crucis (or Stations of the Cross) that can be admired in the chapel are the works of Octavie de Lasalle von Louisenthal (1811-1890), who achieved renown as the "Painter Countess". The Baroque garden located across from the Leibniz Center was recreated in 2001 and is being guarded by a stone lion. In 1959 the last descendant of the House of Lasalle von Louisenthal left Dagstuhl. It was taken over by an order of Franciscan nuns, who converted the property into an old-age home.  In 1989, the manor house was purchased by the Saarland state government, which established the International Conference and Research Center for Computer Science, the Leibniz Center for Informatics in 1990. For more information on Schloss Dagstuhl and the Leibniz Center, please visit: http://www.dagstuhl.de/

relevant filming facts

opening times: 
08:00 am - 6:00 pm
International conference and research center for computer science.
interior architecture: 
historical rooms such as the coat of arms room or the music room
Background noise: 
Quietly and remotely situated, sheltered from the hubbub of everyday modern life, surrounded by forests and meadows. The town of Wadern can easily be reached on foot.
Space restrictions: 
in consultation with the management
Time restrictions : 
in consultation with the management
available in the town of Wadern
for more information, visit http://www.dagstuhl.de/


for more information, go to http://www.dagstuhl.de/ueber-dagstuhl/anreise/
for more information, go to http://www.dagstuhl.de/ueber-dagstuhl/anreise/


sanitary facilities: 
parking lot: 
electricity supply: 
water supply: 


Steffen Conrad