Old Defence Tower in Ottweiler
To aid defence, the keep was built around 1410 above Ottweiler's castle walls. The tower is 48 metres high, the lower parts of its walls are 3 metres thick. The original roof beams have been preserved. Pointed, cone-shaped roof covered with shiny slate shingles. Today, the former medieval defence tower is the bell tower of a Protestant church. It has a carillon and one of Southwest Germany's oldest preserved and accessible timber roof trusses. The cellar room, which is rather deep, can be accessed via a trap door.